Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ok, so I wanted to get a picture of the movement of my Tag 2000. I had unsuccessfully tried to open the screw down caseback once before, which didn't yield any results whatsoever (other than a few scratches!)
A quick google search for the watch shops around my area, and my brother and I were off. The first store we visited, was a nice fancy shop, about a kilometer from my place. I handed my watch over to the person behind the display case and asked her if she could do the needful. In the meantime, I took the opportunity to browse through the selection of watches they had. They were mostly fashion brands, with Rado being the only exception. Anyway, 2 mins later she returns my watch to me saying that the case back is too tight and they watchmaker was unable to open it. I asked if there was any way around it, and was informed that I could leave my watch with them for a few days while they tried to loosen the case back with some oil. I didn't really want to leave my watch there, so I thanked them for their time and left.
I remembered that there was another small watch shop close by. They're not the kind you take a Tag too, but usually deal in minor repairs and sales of watches under $50. I was a bit hesitant at first, but I decided to go ahead with it anyway. I tried a small shop,



but on looking at the screw down caseback, was instantly directed at an even smaller shop close by.
So, I headed there and unwillingly handed my watch over to the guy behind the small desk. He got his tools out and stared trying his best to unscrew the case back. He tried around 4-5 times, but had no luck. I asked him to try once more and as luck would have it, managed to finally crack it open :w00t:
I took a quick cell phone pic and asked him to close it up. Once done, I asked him how much I owed him for his effort, but he refused to take anything. I tried to offer him some cash, but he kept denying it.
In the meantime, a few local goons, hired by a local political party came by to gather some 'compulsory donation'. The amount was Rs 100 or $2, but that's quite a lot for most people here. All this didn't distract my brother, who managed to spot some HMTs lying in the back somewhere and started trying them on. I got into the act too and we both picked up a HMT each:D
Here's mine...a HMT Kohinoor. Picked up for ~$13


and here's his HMT Sourab ($30)


Overall, it was a great experience and you never know what you might find at such places. A HMT today, maybe a few nice used watches tomorrow...who knows:wink: I'll always keep my eyes open :thumbup1:

Of course, a few pics of the 2 HMTs:
HMT Kohinoor - SS, Manual wind
HMT Sourab - 23ct Gold plated, Automatic



















Also, a few pics of the Tag 2000 and 1000 movement:


2000


1000


Together (2000 to the left)

No comments: