Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bit of a disappointment :(

It's known at my workplace that CF and I are watch freaks and once in a while, when a question regarding a watch pops up, they all know who to talk to :D. So a few days back, a colleague of mine came up to me and asked me if I could give him any info about his Dad's Omega. He wasn't sure of the model, so a quick browse through Omega's website revealed that he was talking about a rose gold Aqua Terra.

Out of excitement I asked him more about it. He said that it was gifted to his Dad by a friend. He also mentioned that it came in a green box, which immediately made me suspicious since most (if not all) Omegas come in a red box. For fun, I asked him if he had any idea what it was worth and his guess was around Rs 30,000 ($667). When I told him that the watch, if genuine, was closer to Rs 2,25,000 ($5000) it took in a little while to sink in. He couldn't believe his luck. But before he got too excited, I asked him if it was possible for him to bring the watch to work someday so that I could have a look at it and determine whether it was indeed genuine.
So, yesterday he comes to my desk, looking all excited and asks me if I could have a look at the watch. I immediately sprang to my feet and was probably more excited than he was :p He handed me a cheap green box with "Omega" written on it. Almost instantly I knew what was in store. I opened the box and sure enough it was a fake! Everything was wrong with it. Wrong dial color, quality of case and bracelet, no serial number on the back of the lug, long lettering on the caseback, poor movement visible through the display back, etc
I politely told him that it was not genuine and gave him a few pointers on what to watch out for when buying a watch.
I was so disappointed! I was really looking forward to it. I love handling expensive watches and rarely get a chance to do it often (other than the ones CF and I have)
Oh well, maybe next time :)

No comments: